Tools and Documentation for PSIS respondents
Important dates for Universities
- Submission deadline - July 15th.
- Validation of final MPHEC outputs - August 31st.
Tools and documentation you will need
- PSIS Files and Data Element Description and Record Layout - Modified Version to be Used by the Postsecondary Institutions Under the Mandate of the MPHEC., October 2010.
- MPHEC Major Field of Study Codes
- MPHEC Program Category Codes
- Classification of Instructional Programs (CIP) codes, Canada 2011 (from Statistics Canada's website)
- Standard Classification of Countries and Areas of Interest (SCCAI) 2016 (from Statistics Canada’s website)
- Maritime Pre-screener Application (Available from the MPHEC).
- Your institution's most recent Audit Table file (AT.DB) to be used with the Maritime Pre-screener (Distributed by the MPHEC; Universities only).
In late May, the MPHEC distributes Institutional Audit Tables to be used with the Maritime Pre-Screener. To facilitate the submission process, Institutions can submit information about new programs/program codes that have been approved, and added to institutional files since the previous year's data submission to allow the update of the Audit Table prior to submitting final files. The MPHEC can also provide a list of your institutions' approved programs in our database.
- Validation of final PSIS data and MPHEC calculated outputs (May 2008).
- MPHEC Methodology to calculate Enrolment, FTE and WFTE from PSIS data (May 2004).
By July 15th Institutions
- Prepare 7 PSIS data files.
- Screen files with the MPHEC's Maritime pre-screener (MPS) - Universities only.
- Correct any data errors.
- Review data frequency outputs in MPS.
- Prepare an Error report explaining any errors that were not corrected. (Note: The file naming convention of the error report is similar to the seven PSIS files with positions 12 and 13 including E(error) R(report) with the .doc extension. E.g. 07F11001000ER.doc.
- Submit the 7 PSIS .txt files and the Error Report through the secure MPHEC e-services file transfer website (Contact the MPHEC).
- Screens PSIS files with MPS.
- Reviews Error Report.
- Identifies which errors need to be addressed and which are acceptable.
- Prepares preliminary statistical output files for the institutions to review: December 1st Enrolments, FTE, WFTE, FYFTE, FYWFTE and Credentials Granted
- Correct data or answer questions that need to be addressed.
- Verify preliminary MPHEC outputs.
- Resubmit files if necessary.
- Prepares final MPHEC Statistical output files.
By August 31st registrars:
- Verify and validate final MPHEC outputs.
- Sends summary report to university presidents.
- Submits PSIS files to Statistics Canada.
- Certifies PSIS data extract from Statistics Canada.