2017-18 MPHEC Student Photo Contest
The Commission invites students again this year to participate in its annual Student Photo Contest on “The Student Experience.” To enter, simply submit a photograph that you believe best represents your student experience, along with a completed entry form. Three winning photos will win cash prizes!
We are looking for images that illustrate life as a university student and, in particular, that demonstrate:
- What a university education means to you;
- What quality of education means to you; or
- What best represents your pathway to learning.
This might include your studies, an event, a committee, or you and your friends – really, anything that you think represents the contest theme.
Looking for some inspiration? Winning entries from previous contests can be viewed here: Winners of the Student Photo Contest.
Please note that winning entries may be used on our website and other communications such as publications, presentations and event materials.
The MPHEC assists institutions and government in enhancing the post-secondary learning environment. It does this primarily though approving programs prior to implementation, validating the extent to which institutions are reviewing their programs and services with a focus on students and learning, as well as collecting, analysing and reporting on post-secondary-related data. For more information, please visit our website: www.mphec.ca.
The winning entries will be selected by an MPHEC panel, and winners will be announced by March 30, 2018.
Entries must be submitted to the MPHEC by 5pm, January 17, 2018.
CONTEST IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW
By entering the Maritime Provinces Higher Education Commission (“MPHEC”) 2017-2018 Student Photo Contest (“Contest”) you agree to abide by these Official Rules and any other terms and conditions referenced in these Official Rules.
Eligibility Criteria: This Contest is only open to students enrolled in the following institutions falling within MPHEC’s scope:
- Acadia University
- Atlantic School of Theology
- Cape Breton University
- Dalhousie University
- Mount Allison University
- Mount Saint Vincent University
- Nova Scotia College of Art and Design
- Saint Mary’s University
- St. Francis Xavier University
- St. Thomas University
- Université de Moncton
- Université Sainte-Anne
- University of King’s College
- University of New Brunswick
- University of Prince Edward Island
MPHEC will only accept one entry per individual or team (all team members do not need to be attending the same institution) (“Entrant”). Employees of MPHEC, and any promotion or other enterprise involved in this Contest (and any other person engaged to work on this promotional program), and each of the above’s respective affiliates and subsidiaries (collectively, the “Released Parties”) and the household and immediate family members (defined for the purposes of this Contest as a parent, spouse, child, and sibling) of such employees are not eligible to enter or win. Contest is subject to all federal, provincial and local laws and regulations. This Contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law.
The Contest is open to Entrants who have captured a photo that they believe best represents “The Student Experience.” Unless otherwise indicated, Entrants are eligible to enter the Contest if they meet the following eligibility criteria:
- All Entrants, including team members, must be students enrolled in a Maritime university within MPHEC’s scope (Failure to comply will result in entry not being considered); and,
- All Entrants, including team members, must be at least 18 years of age or have the permission of their guardian.
General Guidelines and Standards for Entries:
- Photographs do not have to have been taken during your current year of study;
- Photographs do not have to be taken at your institution of study, but should represent your experience as a student, particularly as it relates to learning;
- Digital guidelines for photographs: images can be colour or black and white and should be taken on a high resolution camera. Images should be at least 300ppi, without watermarks or other markings that identify the photographer;
- All entries should be labeled with the Entrant’s name and title. For example: Jane_Smith_Students_Graduating.jpeg (Failure to comply will result in entry not being considered);
- Entries must not have been submitted to any other competition (and cannot be returned);
- Approval must be obtained from any person or institution featured in the photograph. Copyrighted materials will not be accepted unless specific permission can be shown (e.g., for the use of images);
- Entrants must own all rights to the photographs submitted. All entries must be original, unpublished, and created solely by the submitting entrant(s) and not violate or infringe upon another person's copyright;
- By uploading or submitting any photograph to this contest, the entrant grants (or warrant that the owner of such materials expressly grants) MPHEC a royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive license to display, distribute, reproduce, and create derivative works of the entries, in whole or in part for any MPHEC purpose, including, but not limited to promotional materials, its website, and publications;
- The content of an entered Photograph must be acceptable for all viewing audiences. MPHEC will automatically disqualify any Entrant that submits a Photograph that contains any obscene or indecent content, including but not limited to text or images, that MPHEC, in its sole and absolute discretion, finds vulgar, offensive, or inappropriate for public viewing, or that presents MPHEC in a negative light.; and,
- Entrants will be deemed to have understood the above rules and agree to be bound by them when entering this competition.
Timing: Contest entries must be submitted to the MPHEC by 5:00 p.m. ADT on January 17, 2018 (“Contest Period”). The winning entries will be announced no later than 5:00 p.m. ADT on March 30, 2018.
How to enter the contest: To enter the student photo contest, you must complete and submit a student photo contest entry form along with a high resolution copy of the image.
Contest prizes, odds of winning, and approximate retail values: Limit one (1) prize per person (or team).
1st Prize $500.00
Odds of winning the first prize will depend on the number of eligible entries received.
Odds of winning a runner-up prize will depend on the number of eligible entries received.
Odds of winning a runner-up prize will depend on the number of eligible entries received.
No substitution, transfer, or assignment of prizes permitted. All monetary amounts in these Official Rules are indicated in Canadian dollars. The winning Entrant will be solely responsible for bearing any income or other taxes, fees, or other costs relating to any prize.
Additional Contest Details
Contest Winners: The winners will be notified and confirmed as follows:
The winners will be determined in the sole and absolute discretion of MPHEC and the winning Entrants will be contacted directly via phone or email as provided by the Entrant by no later than 5:00 p.m. ADT on March 30, 2018. The winners must complete, sign, and return the presented declaration of eligibility and liability/publicity release (the “Documents”), or the prize will be forfeited in its entirety. If a notified winner is not eligible, forfeits prize, or declines prize, an alternate winner may be selected.
Publicity Release: Entrants further grant to MPHEC the right to use and publish their proper names and likenesses online and in print in any other media in connection with the Contest. Acceptance of a prize constitutes permission for MPHEC to use winners’ names and likenesses for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation unless prohibited by law.
Unclaimed Prizes/Second Chance Drawing: If a Prize is not claimed for any reason, it will be awarded to an alternate winner. All remaining entries after the original prize selection will be considered for selection as an alternate winner. The alternate winners will be notified as soon as possible after their selection. Odds of winning a prize as an alternate winner depend on the number of eligible entries received.
Limitations of Liability and Release: Contest entries are void if not obtained through authorized, legitimate channels. Sole liability for an irregular entry form is limited to replacement. All submitted entry forms become property of MPHEC, and will not be returned. No more than the stated number of prizes will be awarded.
By entering the Contest, each Entrant releases, indemnifies and holds MPHEC, its parents, subsidiaries, and affiliates, and each of their respective officers, directors, agents, and employees harmless from any and all responsibility or liability arising out of or relating to: (i) any personal injury, death, property (including computer) damage, or other loss or claim of any kind arising from or in connection with any violation of these Official Rules; the Contest, or any entered Photograph; (ii) any entry or other materials that have been tampered with, that are misdirected, incomplete, incorrect, non-conforming, corrupt, lost, late, or ineligible; (iii) computer, telephone, cable, satellite, network, hardware, software, or other technical malfunctions or failures; Internet or website inaccessibility or delays; printing or typographical errors in any Contest materials; or any other technical or human errors occurring in connection with the Contest; and (iv) any third party claim which, taking the claimant's allegation to be true, would show the Entrant to be in breach of any of its warranties set out herein.
Additional Terms: By entering, entrant agrees to accept and abide by the Official Rules of this Contest and agrees that any dispute with regard to the conduct of this Contest, rule interpretation, or award of prize, shall be resolved by MPHEC, whose decision shall be binding and final. This Contest is governed by the laws of the Province of New Brunswick, and all entrants, consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the Courts of the Province of New Brunswick for any disputes arising out of this Contest. All federal, provincial, and local laws and regulations apply. By participating, entrant agrees to release and hold harmless the Released Parties from any injury, loss or damage to person, including death or property damage due in whole or in part, directly or indirectly to the acceptance, use, or misuse of a prize, participation in any Contest-related activity, or participation in the Contest. MPHEC and the other Released Parties are not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of this offer, administration of the Contest or in the announcement of prizes, including such error as may give an erroneous indication that a prize has been won. In the event MPHEC is prevented from continuing with this Contest, or the integrity and/or feasibility of the Contest is undermined by any event including but not limited to fire, flood, epidemic, earthquake, explosion, labour dispute or strike, act of God or public enemy, satellite or equipment failure, riot or civil disturbance, war (declared or undeclared), terrorist threat or activity, or any federal, provincial, or local government law, order or regulation, order of any court or jurisdiction, or other cause not reasonably within MPHEC’s control (each a “Force Majeure” event), MPHEC shall have the right, in its sole discretion, to abbreviate, modify, suspend, cancel, or terminate the Contest without notice or further obligation. If MPHEC, in its discretion, elects to abbreviate the Contest as a result of a Force Majeure event, MPHEC reserves the right, but shall have no obligation, to select the winner(s) from among all valid and eligible entries received up to the time of such Force Majeure event.
For additional information, please contact Auralia Brooke by phone at (506) 453-2844 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.